Saturday 1 February 2020

Milder than it could have been.

I lost a Pike the other day, it was only on for a second or two but it felt a good un.  What's more it was my fault, I fucked up, it shouldn't have happened.  Afterwards I was calm.  I didn't smash any tackle, or curse, I got a fresh bait back as quickly as possible.  Twenty four hours passed and it was still a niggle in my mind, it's going to stick in the memory, one that got away.  We all have such stories, I have a few, some that I've written about on here, time eases the angst and I can look back on many with a smile.  I can still see a big Norfolk twenty slowly sinking into the soup after the hooks came out a split second from the net.  What was that five years ago?  Probably more.  If anything these images are more vivid than the actual successful moments when there so many things to do and I'm too busy just dealing with the mechanics.

Two well published Pikers have had the Pikebook community chuntering recently.  The first from oop north has reveled in questionable Piking ettiquette over the years and was filmed last month demonstrating some dodgy handling techniques.  He didn't bother to use basic equipment that almost all anglers employ without a moments thought and generally set a piss poor example for someone who has managed to get two books on Piking published.  I haven't turned a page of either book but I have read his articles in which he demonstrates it's possible to get great enjoyment from Pike fishing without actually catching a great deal.  That's absolutely fine because compared to some that's what I do.

The other angler is Piking royalty and wrote what is unarguably one of the best books on our sport.  He's recently caught an enormous, fabulous Pike.  Nobody would begrudge him this, over the years he's been inspirational and informative, he will cherish this fish and appreciate it as he should; fair play, well done that man.  But if chapter two of this story is true he's also been guilty of staggering hypocrisy.

January taught me that although I love all forms of Pike fishing, even prolific fishing with lots of action doesn't give me the same sense of fulfillment as a tough day in Norfolk.  I may be insane but I still use a net, a cradle and a sling.

No comments: