Saturday 28 January 2023

Gloomy January


For some reason the New Year started with me having no desire to fish for Pike, certainly not with the time I had available and the conditions I was faced with.  So I’ve been Chubbing and failing spectacularly!  I’ve fished two stretches, one really fits the bill and I’ve seen summer chub along here many times but it has a busy footpath beside it which drives me mad.  It’s here that I’ve mostly been failing to catch which is frustrating because I know the fish are there but the foot traffic is off putting.  The other stretch is off the beaten track and I’ve seen Chub here too although in far fewer numbers.  This stretch takes more effort but it’s the one I prefer, even though I’ve caught bugger all here too!  But this will almost certainly be the scene of any future Chub fishing, to catch one from a swim I’ve made myself would be a buzz.

Having a break from Piking meant that when the temperature lifted again I was really in the mood for it, couldn’t wait to go.  I had a day planned with an old mate but also before that had another spare day, not enough time to go to Norfolk but just enough to make a trip to Fenland worthwhile.

By 0645 I was heading east on the A14, the busiest A road in the country and with the amount of freight heading to and from the east coast ports one of the most unpleasant.  It was a relief to get off it but then the fen roads weren’t much better…  Eventually I found myself fishing off a quiet farm byway on one of the tributary rivers.  The day was the mildest for a week and mostly cloudy with a northerly breeze. Today I travelled light with just two rods and moved swims every forty five minutes or so, cover water until you find fish, it’s the only way to fish these places.  I didn’t find anything until around 1100 when a newly recast herring started moving steadily downstream.  The strike put a bit of a bend in the twelve footer but unfortunately it wasn’t one that stayed in the rod and a pretty little fenland Pike found its way into the net.  My first Pike of 2023 and despite fishing for a couple of hours more, my only one of the day.  It was nice being in the fens which are full of wildlife in these remote places, highlights today a water vole which swam right up to me and a Barn Owl following a hedge row opposite.  The wilder parts of Fenland are lovely but those bloody roads...  


Up before dawn on the second day in a row, this time I met Mr W in the far corner of the county to pay a visit to a land drain.
  Over the years this water has been very prolific for Pike into double figures but in more recent seasons it seems to have a big head of jacks with the occasional big fish.  It’s a nice remote place to spend time where we could expect to see the float move and if we were really lucky we might stumble across something special.

We were geared up to fish on the move, just a pair of rods each the plan was to give each spot no more than forty five minutes until we dropped onto some fish.  This happened early with takes from our second spot; I missed one on mackerel then a few minutes later Mr W had a jack on smelt.  Just as we were talking about moving on this was delayed when my mackerel went again and this time I managed to net a jack.  The next three spots were fishless but in the early afternoon we found some fish at least Mr W did, three takes on bluey produced two fish of around eight or nine pounds before this area went quiet.

We kept moving and trying but by late afternoon we hadn’t found any more Pike and to be honest were both knackered.  We’d have probably had a good chance of more fish as the sun sank beneath the flood bank but that would mean hitting the rush hour traffic and we just couldn’t be arsed.  A pleasant day in good company came to an end.


I try not to fish at the weekend but Saturday afternoon was free and seemed an ideal time to have another look at the ‘out of the way’ stretch and get myself away from cheerful walkers, (not sure I've spelt that right).  The day was mild and cloudy and felt like good fishing weather to me.  The river looked pretty good too, normal winter level and flowing nicely with a bit of colour.  But what the fuck do I know?

I started a mile away from the car, just above an overhanging tree on a bend.  I fished with bread flake and the usual feeder rig with smelly groundbait.  The plan was to fish a few swims and gradually work my way back upstream towards the car.  And this I thoroughly enjoyed doing fishing three more chubby looking swims; a raft of floating debris, a nice overhang and a small pool that I’d never noticed before.  I fished into darkness and the starlite danced before my eyes but the tip didn’t pull round once all afternoon.

So that’s two sessions spent on this stretch without a single bite but there has to be fish about somewhere doesn’t there?  I’ll keep going back though because I enjoy being there and as it’s a little out of the way the wildlife is interesting.  So far I’ve seen a Barn Owl, Buzzard, Great and Long Tailed Tits, Heron, Egret, Deer, Rabbits and inevitably an Otter.  This may well be the problem, I know there were Chub in these stretches twenty years ago because I would see them and ignore them as I wanted to catch Pike.  There were Otters in this area back then for sure but in far fewer numbers and no local stillwaters were fenced.  Nowadays the ‘known’ Chub areas seem to be in the villages, where there are lots of people walking the banks to deter the cuddly little monsters.

That’s January almost done with, in the garden the snowdrops are just poking through the soil and there will certainly be more horrible weather to come but in my mind February is longer, brighter days and better fishing.

No comments: